Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Back From the Void

OK, so it’s been awhile and I am sorry. It’s my life you know? Up to my ears in alligators; working fulltime, school, home life, it takes its toll on one’s creativity. Really, school is over. I'm done. So done.

All right, so what do I have that will not waste your time? Another nighttime bed story? You want to turn your machine of and climb in to bed don't you. Can't blame you but here is something to tuck you in:

Noise is a big problem for us night people. I have spent years working either swing or graveyard shifts and one of my biggest gripes was the racket from roommates, neighbors, traffic, aircraft, girlfriends, wives, children and pets. What do you do about it?

• Very carefully, communicate to those who may listen, your odd sleep patterns. Start by mentioning in casual conversation to your roomie that loud music (even U2) is annoying when you have only had three hours of snooze time. Get creative and tell a story about fictional relationship that went bad due to insensitive mates. Be nice and offer something in exchange like promising to wear earphones during a showdown in a FPS game after midnight. Trading good behavior is an all round good idea anyway.


• Live with those who will put up with your nocturnal eccentricity.

• Move away from the noise. Yes, I know it’s a hassle, but relocating to the country is a sure way to reduce urban phonic pollution. Granted, this will add commuting issues to your laundry list of life’s struggles. However, getting seven to eight hours of sleep is worth it. All of life is better when you have some quality zzzs behind you. And then there is better air quality, aesthetics, and the list will be revisited at a later date OK? Yes, it is not possible right now, but just tuck it in the back of your mind for a possible emerging reality.

• For those background noise irritations when sleeping, a good, cheap solution is to have a fan, air cleaner, or some other device that makes white noise. White noise is a regular sound that masks irregular and annoying thuds, crashes and other impositions assaulting your precious slumber. I’m cheap, I don’t have a nifty sleep machine so I just turn on the fan, throw a dark t-shirt over my eyes and go to where ever we go when consciousness gives up and calls it a night. I guess even radio static could be used, but I get enough static already so I haven’t tried it.

• Earplugs? I have tried them and they do help. Find the big cylindrical ones you squish and roll around in your fingers before jamming and screwing them as far as you can into your head. Maybe the rubber ones with the cool baffles on them work, but they keep falling out of my ears.

So what next you ask? Well, I plan on finishing a story I’m working on and then coming up with something worthy.